Internal Monologue retracts a post

Well, this is a first. I deleted a post. It was brought to my attention by Mark A.R. Kleiman that the characterization of his views presented in a quote I posted by Retardo Montalban was inaccurate. I should have checked on my own before posting the quote, but since I agreed with Retardo's overall thesis (that some writers have an annoying tendency to desire "politeness" at all costs), I didn't check to see if the example Retardo was using actually supported it. This was sloppy on my part. Having now thoroughly examined the Kleiman post in question, I don't think Kleiman's post is a good example of this phenomenon. So I removed the post and apologized to Mr. Kleiman for posting a quote that misrepresented him. And I apologize to him once again here.

There was a huge blowup between Atrios and Kleiman involving Jane Galt back in 2003. And apparently Atrios' link to the Retardo post on Sadly, No! (which is how I found it) was a re-ignition of that old conflict. I, of course, had no idea about any of this, having not been active in the blogosphere in 2003. But I still should have checked into Kleiman's actual post before posting a quote that characterized it in a certain (highly negative) way.

Well, one thing that's fun about the blogosphere is rapid reader feedback. This whole exchange would have taken weeks back in the paper days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!