Dixie wants out of Iraq, too

The American South, until recently supportive of the Iraq occupation, has recently soured. This doesn't surprise me too much, as the South is probably bearing a greater share of the military burden.

In some ways, I'm sad that it's taken America as a whole a long time to come round to a war-skeptical point of view. On the other hand, it seems we have done so faster than in Vietnam, and with fewer casualties on both sides. (My knowledge is sketchy, but I'm pretty sure "excess deaths" in Vietnam were a lot more than the recent 655,000 estimate that Lancet produced for Iraq.) So maybe that's progress, and I should be grateful. It still seems like a colossal stupid waste of human life that could have easily been avoided, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!