Zac to do staged reading with Shailja Patel in Oakland September 12th 3pm

Portrait of Shailja taken by Cato Lein at WALTIC in Stockholm 2008.

I have the great honor of doing a staged reading of excerpts from Bwagamoyo (The Father): Part II of Migritude. Here's the information from Shailja's calendar:

September 12th, Excerpts from Bwagamoyo, Oakland

Staged reading of excerpts from Bwagamoyo: The Father - Part II of Migritude
Guest Actor: Zachary Drake [that's me!]
Followed by Q and A with the audience
Saturday September 12th
3pm - 5pm
Oakopolis Gallery
447 25th Street (between Broadway and Telegraph)
Oakland

View Larger Map
Phone: 510-663-6520 Email: oakopolis@gmail.com
$5 - $20 (sliding scale)
For more info in the show itself, see here. The opening lines:
The most telling - and compelling - line of a man's body is that place where his neck joins his shoulder. From which the head extends, retracts, responds. It can be beautiful in its cleanness and purpose. Its strength and flexibility, its balance and alignment. It can disturb in its distortion and strain, its rigidity or collapse.

I like to think that if I could see that line in its entirety, if I could enter the living braid of muscles beneath - trapezius, levator scapulae, sterno-cleido-mastoid - it would tell me everything about a man. Where he intersects with his reality. How he meets, receives, and inserts himself into the world.

I hope my neck-to-shoulderline is good, because I know everyone will be looking at it when she recites those lines :) Shailja is a wonderful poet, performer, and writer. I didn't know English could sound so musical until I heard her speak it. I saw the first part of Migritude, and it was a fantastic piece of storytelling. So I'm very excited to be working with her on the next part of this work.

Comments

bill in minneapolis said…
Zac, that sounds great !
ST said…
Yay! Looks awesome.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!