Atheist of the Day: Ricky Gervais

Photo from Allen and Unwin

Today's Atheist of the Day is also from show business. Ricky Gervais is best known for writing and acting in the British version of TV series The Office. He tells a great atheism conversion story (from rickygervais.com):
I remember the day I became an atheist," says Gervais. "I was doing my homework. I'd been to Sunday school from the age of five to eight. I had gold stars and used to win Jason in the Lion's Den books, and everything was great. And, er, I fÇÇ"ing loved Jesus, I thought he was brilliant. What a great man." Then his brother Bob, who was 19, came in and took an interest in the homework. He asked Ricky why he believed in God 'and my mum got nervous. My mum went, 'Bob' [in a warning voice] and I thought, something's up. Then he went, 'Well, what proofis there?' My mum said, 'Of course there's a God.' He went, 'No, I'mjust asking.' And I said something ludicrous: they've found evidence, they've found his blood in a bottle. I was just guessing. And Bob laughed. I could tell just by looking, that he was telling the truth and my mum was lying. I knew the truth in that instant. That's why I put such a value in body language."
His atheism is also ducmented at his Wikipedia entry:
Gervais is an atheist. In an interview given to John Humphrys he said, "Being an atheist makes someone a clearer-thinking, fairer person... They [atheists] are not doing things to be rewarded in heaven; they're doing things because they're right, because they live by a moral code". He also added that, although he doesn't believe, God (if he exists) would like him [23].[3]. Andy Millman, the character he plays in his and Merchants sitcom Extras, also holds this view.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A little odd, but plausibly childlike, that the deciding factor for little Ricky was whether or not there was physical evidence of Jesus' existance. It goes without saying, for us grown-ups, that that is not the question. And if it were... um, I mean how much physical evidence do we have of... well just about any historical figure.
Anonymous said…
>um, I mean how much physical evidence do we have of... well just about any historical figure.

um, are u fucking serious Mad?
Anonymous said…
hahahahaha

yeah there is no physical evidence of hitler, or stalin, or JFK, none of them. Not one single bit of physical proof... not a photo or documents, or videos..

jesus never existed He was made up, he is a lie. The greater the lie is the more people are going to think its true.. and thats the biggest lie of them all.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!