Moral foundations of liberals and conservatives


On Yourmorals.org, (registration required) you can take a bunch of quizzes about your personality and how you think about morality. The first tests involve assessing how important harm, fairness, loyalty, authority, and purity are to your moral decision-making. The above graph shows my results in green along with average liberal results (blue) and conservative results (red).

So, I'm slightly less concerned with harm than the average liberal. I'm actually closer to conservatives than to liberals in my opinions about fairness: I think fairness is more important than conservatives do, but only by a little bit. On authority I'm pretty much an average liberal. And I'm less concerned with loyalty and purity than everybody. Overall, I'm not too surprised.

(HT: Mad Latinist via email)

Side note: From the numbers at the top of the graph, it appears that liberals are much more interested in taking Web-based quizzes about their morality than conservatives are. Or it could be that liberals are more likely to read blogs that link to such quizzes. Blogs like this one, for example.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, the one conservative friend to whom I sent that article was pretty incensed by it, so I suppose that might have something to do with the liberality of the test-takers Maybe I should goad him to take the test and prove the evil tendentious researchers wrong.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!