Atheist of the Day: Isaac Asimov

(Image from here)

Just to prove that this series is not entirely an excuse to post pictures of attractive Hollywood women, today's atheist is the late Isaac Asimov. The prolific author, best known for his science fiction (Foundation novels, Robot novels, etc) but who wrote on a myriad of subjects, was an unbeliever:
I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time. -- Isaac Asimov, in "Free Inquiry", Spring 1982, vol.2 no.2, p. 9

Comments

Anonymous said…
Isaac Asimov is not an attractive woman.

Then again, neither am I, as a certain teacher of ours once pointed out.

But Jody Foster to Isaac Asimov... quite a jump. I guess you've purified yourself of babe-guilt.
Zachary Drake said…
Not to worry, there are more atheist babes on the way!

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!