McCain couldn't remember how many houses he owned

McCain deserves to be walloped for other things more. But I'll do my part to propagate this gaffe: McCain couldn't recall how many houses he and his wife own. The Democrats have chosen this blunder to pounce on. I'm glad they're attacking him, but it's sad that this is the sort of thing that seems to work. I think his confusion of Shia and Sunni is a lot more disqualifying. How can he brag about foreign policy cred when such a distinction was lost on him until Joe Lieberman whispered in his ear, multiple times?

But I suppose a lot of Americans don't know the difference between Shia and Sunni, so perhaps they don't mind that McCain doesn't either. Though I don't see how that enters into it: There are a lot of things I don't know that I would expect a candidate for president to know.

But most Americans do know how many homes they own. I, for example, am an American, and I am quite confident that I own zero homes. So the fact that McCain was unable to answer this question probably alienates a lot of people who think the President needs to be some kind of national beer buddy.

I'm certain the comedians are going to milk this for long after it's funny. I can practically hear in my head the Leno monologue writers whirring into action.

I'm glad the Democrats smell blood. But I'm a little sad that being forgetful about your vast real estate portfolio is more unforgivable than combining ignorance of foreign matters with reckless posturing on war-related matters (Iraq, Iran, and now Georgia of all places).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!