Can we leave Iraq? They don't want us there

Picture of wall outside Palestine Hotel in Baghdad, Iraq, April 26 2003

Image stolen from VIEWIMAGES, who foolishly believe that by disabling right-click on their site they can prevent me from stealing their intellectual property. Yo, ever heard of the Print Scrn button? It takes a snapshot of the current window and copies it to the clipboard. Open up Windows Paint, paste the image, crop it down to the picture I want, and presto!

Via rubber hose, we have this from the Washington Post:

Iraqis of all sectarian and ethnic groups believe that the U.S. military invasion is the primary root of the violent differences among them, and see the departure of "occupying forces" as the key to national reconciliation, according to focus groups conducted for the U.S. military last month.

That is good news, according to a military analysis of the results. At the very least, analysts optimistically concluded, the findings indicate that Iraqis hold some "shared beliefs" that may eventually allow them to surmount the divisions that have led to a civil war.

That second paragraph shows how Orwellian our military has become. It's sad that I won't be able to tell my children "I was a Democrat; we did all we could to stop it". Because the Democrats as a whole aren't doing much at all to stop it. And the leading Democratic candidates aren't pushing this issue very hard. Is it too much to ask to get a politician willing to tackle the #1 political issue of our day in a way that reflects the opinion of a majority of Americans? I know I know, we've covered this ground before. It still galls me. This is one of those issues that seems like such a no-brainer to me. But then I am a good deal smarter than most people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!