Afghanistan is a potential quagmire

I want to challenge the meme that invading Iraq was a wrong war but that occupying Afghanistan is a right war. I think occupying Afghanistan has good consequences and bad consequences, but I suspect that the bad outweigh the good, and that the good consequences could probably be obtained by other methods.

digby has a post on this that goes into more detail. I'm glad that some debate on this is starting. During the campaign, every time Obama said we need to get out of Iraq I cheered. Every time he said we need to escalate our military presence in Afghanistan, I cringed.

I'm not opposed to military force as part of some overall strategy. But hanging around trying to shoot all the Taliban just isn't going to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!