Obama mentions non-believers

I was happy to hear that according to Obama, I get to be included too. Amanda Marcotte on Pandagon had a similar reaction:
Hey, I can’t be the only person who had a “holy shit” moment when Obama recognized non-believers in his inaugural speech. Nor can I be the only one bracing myself for the wingnut outrage, since there’s so much effort dedicated to vilifying atheists as the ultimate cancer eating away at our supposedly secular nation. Or maybe not. Perhaps even the most hardened wingnuts will realize that Obama included non-believers in the spirit of inclusiveness he’s been trying to foster in his speeches for awhile now.
There was quite of bit of God talk, too. But I'm pretty used to translating that kind of ceremonial deism into something that makes me feel included. So it didn't bother me all that much.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When I listened to Obama's speech and the "non-believers" was included in his list of diversity of religious views, it just popped out at me and I said to myself, "Zac will really like that."

I did too. Including it last on his listing of belief systems seemed to emphasize it - or maybe it was just my surprise to hear it that made it stand out.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!