McCain is doomed

McCain doesn't remember the last time he pumped his own gas (and he's not been stuck in Oregon or New Jersey, where make-work laws require someone else to do it for you), and doesn't remember the price, and doesn't think it matters. Orange County Register:
[OC Register] When was the last time you pumped your own gas and how much did it cost?

[McCain] Oh, I don’t remember. Now there’s Secret Service protection. But I’ve done it for many, many years. I don’t recall and frankly, I don’t see how it matters.
Now, I don't think candidates should necessarily be required to be experts in every aspect of working class life. I think you can still be president of the United States and not know how much it costs to take the bus in your hometown or (as Giuliani was asked) how much a loaf of bread costs. (I buy bread frequently but I can't remember how much it costs. $4.50?) But gas prices are a huge national issue with enormous economic, environmental, and geopolitical consequences (not all of them negative). Would it have killed McCain to let on that he knew gas was over $4 a gallon right now? And that it was a matter of some concern?

Another thing: McCain's wife's trust has forgotten to pay taxes on one of their family's seven houses...for the past four years. (The McCain family assets are held by Cindy McCain, which makes it harder to figure out what John McCain's financial interests are.)

Any Republican charges about someone being "elitist" or "out of touch" will now be considered with the above facts in mind.

Comments

KingofKaty said…
Sorry Zach this just doesn't fly. On June 18 John McCain said in a speech gas was over $4 per gallon and oil at $134. He knows how much gasoline is. He hasn't pumped his gas in a while because secret service drives him everywhere. He has been campaigning for almost 2 years.

The property tax flap is for a trust that Cindy McCain set up so her aunt would have a place to live in San Diego. There was a clerical error with the address for the tax bills.

The McCains are taking care of their relatives - to Democrats that must be some kind of unpardonable sin. The Democrat Party believes that only the government should take care of everyone.
Zachary Drake said…
That is a good point about the Tax flap. I read a similar account of the incident.

I believe that McCain knows the price of oil and gasoline. I'm just surprised that he would answer a question about gasoline in such a way that implies it doesn't matter.

McCain has repeatedly confused Sunni and Shiite, so I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he says something that implies a dangerously vague or unconcerned view of the world.

I don't believe that taking care of one's relatives is an unpardonable sin. That is a ridiculous notion, and I think throwing it out there undermines the legitimate defenses you're making of McCain's statements and behavior.

McCain's "unpardonable sin", as far as I'm concerned, is that I think he would be a very bad president. I am pushing every potentially embarrassing factoid and incident about McCain, because I don't want to see him elected. And I think the mainstream press has given him too much of a pass on things compared to other presidential candidates.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!