Atheist of the Day: David Gilmour

Photo nicked from a MySpace page. Goodness knows where they got it.

Today's Atheist of the Day is Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour! I didn't know this about Mr. Gilmour, even though I've been quite a Pink Floyd fan since senior year of high school. Their music means less to me now than it did back then, which I guess means I'm less alienated these days. The documentation on this one seems pretty solid. Here's one bit:

From the Chicago Tribune, published March 31, 2006:

"When you get to 60, one of your preoccupations is that the life you have ahead of you is quite a lot shorter than the life you have behind you [laughs]. You can't help thinking about that. It's something inside all of us, even though I'm not a believer in God or an afterlife. I'm an atheist. I'm sort of resigned to my lot in life, and content in it."

Here's Gilmour as a CBE in 2003. (I think you get that if you give a boatload of money to charity.) Ironically, the motto of the Order of the British Empire is For God and the Empire. I guess Gilmour's atheism didn't prevent him from becoming a Commander of this order, despite the motto.

Photo from Answers.com

Comments

Anonymous said…
My friend Bryce who is, by some definitions, a Brit was just telling me that if you want to have a successful career in the Anglican Church you need to be an atheist.
Anonymous said…
Man, obviously having (or not having) religion is a deciding factor in who can give to what charities. It's kinda like where you choose to eat in the cafeteria... The cool kids? Jocks? Decisions, decisions....

I think the reason you have trouble relating to Pink Floyd these days is because you're a douchebag, not because you're less alienated.
Zachary Drake said…
Um, not quite sure I follow your argument there, anonymous. It's conclusion (that I'm a douchebag) is clear though. I suspect you're being snarky, but I can't figure out what exactly you're mocking
Lucas Matias said…
The way I see it. You are saying that people who think pink floyd means a lot are alienated.

And I think you only say this because you're upset that your childhood hero is atheist.
Anonymous said…
This article sucks a big hairy cock. Go alienate some where else zack your pussy is smelling up the place
Anonymous said…
So much talent, so little belief. God still believes in him though.
وليد said…
Atheism

is the belief that there was something,and nothing happened to nothing , and then suddenly the thing burst like that for no reason and everything was created, and then a bunch of things were arranged magically, without any reason, so created the first cell, For dinosaurs
Dear atheist, you have the full right to believe in this great miracle, but you must respond to these questions when, where, and how
let me tell you this afterlife is more for us to live again and enjoy again instead of nothing

dear david you are a great musician i love your voice that tune with your guitar and i hope to think once that the world we live in can,t create from itself , and thank you

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!