Triple shot of Feministing

Feministing: Still my favorite logo in the blogosphere

Three items from Feministing's weekly feminist reader:
  1. A brief Time article on outsourcing breastmilk. I guess we outsource just about everything else in our culture, so why not? They say "cross-nursing", where you feed each other's babies, is making a "minor comeback", but they don't cite any statistics.
  2. Guardian Unlimited talks to Jessica Valenti about her book Full Frontal Feminsism, which is about how feminism can benefit the young women of today. It's the book she wishes she had when she was a teenager.
  3. A frightening excerpt from Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters, about the connection between perfectionism and body image and eating issues among the high-achieving young women of today. This stuff scares the crap out of me, because I can see its effects but I don't feel I can do anything about it. It's very strange to me because it's a whole universe of pressures that I'm just not subjected to. Is it really this bad for women? Food is the new sex, I guess. People have to have fucked up notions about some essential human function, or we might actually end up liking ourselves. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make these issues go away.

Comments

AutismNewsBeat said…
I've seen that logo on a mudflap.
Anthony said…
That third issue scares the crap out of me too, not the least bit because I got burnt by it recently.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!