"Teh Gay" strikes again

Isn't wonderfully ironic how all of these outed Evangelicals are confirming the view of homosexuality as in innate orientation, rather than some sort of "choice"? Here's another one from Colorado (HT: Sullivan):
“I have struggled with homosexuality since I was a 5-year-old boy,” Barnes, 54, said in the videotaped message. “... I can’t tell you the number of nights I have cried myself to sleep, begging God to take this away.”
Compare this to Haggard's confession:
"There is part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I've been warring against it all of my adult life," Haggard said in the letter...
Doesn't sound too "choicey" either. If evangelical pastors cannot rid themselves of "teh gay" by "choice", who can?

And even if it was a "choice", what's so wrong about it? In some ways, I feel the whole "is it a choice?" debate is a red herring. If two people of the same sex fall in love, shouldn't they be able to be together, regardless of whether their feelings are a "choice" or not? If homosexuality was somehow inherently destructive and evil, it wouldn't matter whether it was a "choice" or not. It would be wrong either way. But I don't think homosexuality (or heterosexuality, for that matter) is the evil that puritans make it out to be. So whether it's a "choice" or not is really irrelevant to me.

Comments

AutismNewsBeat said…
How would a five year old know he's gay? (note to FBI: I'm not fishing for photographic proof).
Zachary Drake said…
I don't know, but I had crushes in kindergarten. I didn't know what they were until later, though. So I think it would be possible for someone who was more aware of such issues to realize they were gay at five years old.
Anonymous said…
"Ὑπὲρ τούτου τρὶς τὸν Κύριον παρεκάλεσα ἵνα ἀποστῇ ἀπ᾽ ἐμοῦ"
-The Apostle Paul
Zachary Drake said…
A translation would be helpful. I can't find an online one.
Anonymous said…
That's 2 Corinthians 12:8. KJV (to get some context here's 7 as well):

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
Anonymous said…
Great post - I couldn't agree more that whether or not it's a choice is irrelevant. Why do people care so much about who sleeps with who, who marries who, what people do in bed, etc.? Seems the creepy and sordid ones are the wingnuts who are so preoccupied with other people's sex lives.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!