Unitarians on CNN!


We're such a small denomination (220,000 members in the US according to this segment) that when we get on TV we get excited. This is a pretty good segment. It emphasizes the role of the Unitarian Universalist church as a place where people of faith can worship without some of the dogmatic or creedal requirements of other churches.

Of course, for me it's a place where I can derive some of the benefits of organized religion (e.g. picking up women, though that no longer applies to me) without having to check my brain at the door. Since church brain check clerks are notoriously unscrupulous, I enjoy being able to take my brain into the service with me: I once had my left hemisphere stolen at a Seventh Day Adventist church in Topeka. Fortunately, I am left-handed and was able to use my remaining right hemisphere to beat up the old lady who had taken it until she revealed its location (a rusty file cabinet in the sacristy). I was lucky I was able to understand her, as language is often localized in the left hemisphere, but in left-handed people it is often distributed across both hemispheres, as must have be the case with me.

Comments

Robin Edgar said…
I once had my picket signs stolen by a Queen's Counsel lawyer while protesting against U*U injustices, abuses and hypocrisy in front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal. This brainless U*U thought he was above the law due to his elite status as a Queen's Counsel lawyer. I had him charged with theft and assault and the charges stuck. . . Quite evdently neither his left brain nor his right brain were working very well.
Zachary Drake said…
I'm sorry your experience with this UU was so negative. But I'm glad the justice system offered you redress.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!