Atheist of the Day: Karl Rove

Karl Rove from his Wikipedia page

OK, the source for this is Christopher Hitchens, and I really don't know what to make of it. It doesn't meet my usual high standards for declarations of atheism. But it's such a doozy I think it has to be included. Here's Hitchens in an interview with New York Magazine:
Has anyone in the Bush administration confided in you about being an atheist?
Well, I don’t talk that much to them—maybe people think I do. I know something which is known to few but is not a secret. Karl Rove is not a believer, and he doesn’t shout it from the rooftops, but when asked, he answers quite honestly. I think the way he puts it is, “I’m not fortunate enough to be a person of faith.”
I didn't blog this the first time I saw it, but when I saw it again on The Carpetbagger Report it just struck me how strange this must be. Wouldn't it be ironic if the great proponent of turning out the Christianist base as a political strategy was himself an unbeliever? This item has provoked a lot of speculation and head-scratching throughout the blogosphere. Nick Anthis isn't surprised.

Whatever Rove's religious beliefs, it doesn't change the fact that he's been enormously BAD for this country. His tactics are dirty and divisive, and he has helped elect and shape an administration that has been a catastrophe for our country. His legacy will probably a deep moral stain on our polity. It may also be a Republican party relegated to minority status for a long time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, even atheists can be Bad People.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!