Baghdad: What can we do?

The situation in Baghdad is just awful, and our administration bears a lot of responsibility for letting things get this bad. Sullivan points to this Times of London article that paints a pretty bleak picture.

I’ve been in a dialogue with a highly-placed government source* (codename: “Maestro”) about what our government could do better in Iraq, and whether or not we should pull out. (Maestro thinks we should stay; I think we should pull out.) It’s been a very interesting exchange, and I was negotiating with Maestro to put a highly redacted version of our debate on this blog, but I fear our dialogue is being made obsolete by the rapid pace of events. We’ll see if I can get something together while there’s still time to do anything about the situation.

* Well, OK, Maestro is not exactly “highly-placed”, but does have extensive experience in building civil society and international conflict resolution, and has worked for many governmental, international, and non-governmental organizations involved in ethnic conflict hotspots. Maestro also seems to have better ideas about what needs to be done in Iraq than what I’ve been hearing out of this administration, so I only hope Maestro’s influence increases: both for the sake of the people of Iraq and for my own access to inside info (though I highly doubt Maestro would leak anything unauthorized).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!