Digby on debt

I agree with digby that this is an issue that could create a lot of energy for any candidate (Dem or Repub) willing to take on the credit card industry:
I've long felt that this was one of the most potent political issues that nobody ever talks about. It was the main reason why I thought those Democrats who supported the Bankruptcy Bill were prostituting themselves so cheaply when you considered the stakes for ordinary people --- and the political bounty for those who have the imagination and the will to take it on:
Slacktivist had a great post on this subject a while back which I linked to from here. This is a big issue that has pocketbook resonance for a huge number of people. I bet we all know someone who has had trouble with debt, if we haven't ourselves. I think it's the sort of bread and butter thing that could make a difference in an election. Of course, extremely wealthy interests are pushing from the opposite side. But I bet a skillful campaign could really make the credit card companies out to be scummy bad guys who were just given a big handout with the recent Bankruptcy Bill. I think it wouldn't be too hard to paint those in the pay of the credit industry as preadators on the hard working folk of America (because it's largely true).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!