Back at ya, Mormons! An atheist attempts to convert LDSers

This is too good: An Australian atheist, annoyed by LDSers (Mormons) knocking on his door on Saturday morning and attempting to convert him, decides to get his revenge. And what better way to go about it than givin' 'em some of their own medecine: He goes door-to-door in Salt Lake City, trying to spread the gospel of unbelief. Frickin' hilarious. (HT: Sullivan, who is on a major LDS trip right now.)

I love how he dresses up in the suit and everything. I don't know what overall reaction he got, but the ones in the video are pretty negative. The old guy who hits him with the broom is priceless. It feels so good to have a tiny symbolic smidgen of proselytizing shot back at the LDSers. Of course, I suspect the irony is lost on most of them (at least the ones shown in the video). What is it about most religion that ruins people's sense of humor? Nietzsche would not approve.

One quibble: I disagree with his choice of Origin of Species as his "holy text". The whole "Bible-is-to-Christianity-as-Darwin-is-to-atheism" analogy is off. Origin of Species is a scientific text, and is (as far as I know) silent about the whole existence of God issue. Certainly Darwin's work forms a major component of many atheists' world views, but many people are happy believing in both. The guy should have carried a copy of Sam Harris' The End of Faith or something (see sidebar) similar.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Absolutely brilliant! Having lived my entire life behind the Zion Curtain of Utah (and being persecuted by my in laws for my lack of faith) I found this to be delightful. I laughed, I cried, it was better than cats! Thanks!
Zachary Drake said…
You are most welcome. I'm glad you found some entertainment via my blog. Thank goodness for comedy.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!