I don't like Bush, but a Voodoo hex?

Found this little gem over at Talking Points Memo:
A renowned black magic practitioner performed a voodoo ritual Thursday to jinx President George W. Bush and his entourage while he was on a brief visit to Indonesia.

Ki Gendeng Pamungkas slit the throat of a goat, a small snake and stabbed a black crow in the chest, stirred their blood with spice and broccoli before drank [sic] the "potion" and smeared some on his face.

"I don't hate Americans, but I don't like Bush," said Pamungkas, who believed the ritual would succeed as, "the devil is with me today."

First of all, although I share Mr. Pamungkas' (forgive me if I got your form of address wrong, but I don't know how Indonesian names work) dislike of Bush, I do not believe in the supernatural forces required to make such a ritual work. It does make for some great protest theater though. Sure beats holding up an "Impeachment Now!" sign in some free speech zone somewhere. Heck, he made Internal Monologue, which is pretty good for some voodoo practitioner in Indonesia. I feel sorry for the animals killed, but I kill animals (indirectly) for much less noble causes than protesting Bush (e.g. because they taste better than the soy substitutes), so I really have no moral grounds on which to complain.

Second of all, how exactly does Ki Gedeng Pamungkas expect to able to tell if his ritual has succeeded or not? President Bush seems pretty "jinxed" already. (Maybe some other practitioner of the dark arts got to him first.) Maybe this latest ritual will drive Bush's approval rating even lower than the low thirties in which it's currently wallowing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I particularly liked the broccoli. I wonder if Bush II hates it as much as his father.
Zachary Drake said…
That stood out for me as well.
Anonymous said…
Of course this attempt is doomed to failure: I'm sure Bush already has the best shamans and worlocks that money can buy. In fact, we've probably already met them, only under other titles, such as "Deputy Chief of Staff."
Zachary Drake said…
Maybe Rove thought he had "THE MATH" because his numerology predictions all pointed to a Republican victory.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!