What American dialect do you speak?

Here are my results from this quiz (HT: Majikthise):

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Philadelphia

The Northeast

The Midland

The South

The West

Boston

North Central

What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes

It seemed pretty accurate. I don't use the word "pop" for "soda" anymore, but I used to and it took a long time for me to change. It's interesting that I didn't get the most "Minnesota" (North Central) dialect, even though I grew up in Minneapolis, as did my father. Maybe because my mother learned English in Hong Kong, that skewed my accent. It could also be that time spent on the East Coast in college and on the West Coast has modified my accent. Also, my acting and singing training might have changed my speech somewhat.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What the...

Your Result: The Midland
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

..odd, because I clearly do have an accent.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!