Sullivan on McCain

I keep reminding myself of the hideous irony: John McCain has just allowed the U.S. president to use some of the techniques the North Vietnamese once used on McCain when he was a P.O.W. If that doesn't make you sick to your stomach, then I guess you'll never understand why so many of us feel so strongly about this.
I don't feel I can raise the proper amount of noise on this, given my new status. But this is sick and sad. I want nothing more than to pull the American flag up out of the shit this administration has trampled it in. That's why I have it in my blog's sidebar: so it can be associated with something other than what my government is doing while waving it.

I worry about this administration, but I worry more about the America that would let this happen. I'd like to think that Bush is just ramming this immorality down our throats, but the sad truth is that there are many of us who are cheering him on as he does so.

Unlike Sullivan, I've pretty much given up on McCain. He's too willing to suck up to who he needs to get the nomination (the Christianists, this administration), even though they've treated him like crap when it suited their purposes. I would not be surprised if this whole intra-Republican torture debate turned out to be some kind of fraudulent political kabuki staged by the administration to distract the electorate and the punditocracy (I've read this hypothesis in various places around the progosphere).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!