Academispeak: satirically (de)constructing the value-genesis of scholarly argot

If academic pretension and florid scholarly verbiage have ever driven you nuts, you'll appreciate these two satirical posts from App Crit's Office Hours Cancelled blog. The most recent is a scoring system to rate the titles of academic articles ("Discoursing Running Asunder: meta-stercoration and trans-scataficationism in the epinomenclaturismatica of neo-cultural studies" gets 24 points). The other is a recipe for writing academic abstracts before you've even written the paper! ("Sprinkle arrogance over mixture and gently fold in AS-wise outsider. Add one French/Italian phrase.")
 
Sometimes I think maybe I shoulda gone to grad school. And maybe someday I will. Oh boy what fun I'll have!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad you appreciated those links. And cross polination is how blogs grow, right?
Zachary Drake said…
Yes, certainly. And I need to grow as much as possible, to feed my isatiable thirst for attention and glory!
App Crit said…
ditto and, emm, ditto.

Although, funny enough, with my last two posts, I've lost many academic readers, which of course proves everything.

Cheers
Anonymous said…
Well, App Crit, you've probably gained at least 1. : ) I love laughing at the culture of academia, especially as I embark on the ultimate acculturation experience - completing my dissertation.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!