Maybe he wants them posted to aid his memory

OK this (from Political Vine) is too damn funny. Crooks and Liars has the video of Westmoreland (R-Georgia 8th) on the Colbert Report. He co-sponsored a bill requiring the display of the Ten Commandments public buildings, but he can’t even name more than three. Ouch. Let’s see if I can do better (from memory, honestly):

  1. Thou shalt have no other Gods before me

  2. Thou shalt honor thy mother and father

  3. Thou shalt not commit murder

  4. Thou shalt not steal

  5. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor

  6. Thou shalt keep holy the Sabbath

  7. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s stuff

  8. Thou shalt not worship idols/graven images

  9. Thou shalt not commit adultery

  10. Hmm…lets…see…I can’t remember…

Google to the rescue! Of course I also don’t know the order…here we are! (from prayerlist.com). Oh, “Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.” Forgot that one. It’s number three. Still, not bad for a humanist. And I did better than the congressman who wanted to put them up in public buildings.

UPDATE: Andrew Sullivan links to it, too. But I beat him to it by quite a bit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm impressed. You did better than I could and I was a catholic school girl.

Popular posts from this blog

Snarking The Odyssey (with AD&D)

Where is 56th and Wabasha? "Meet Me in the Morning" Dylan Mystery Solved

Victim or perpetrator? How about both!