Spotlight Lesbianism: girls kissing girls for guys
She and a friend were drinking at a party, and some guys dared them to kiss ... so they did. "It was like, look, I'm the center of attention! Everyone's looking at me and cheering me on. It felt good being in the spotlight [emphasis added]," she says. Then she adds, "And the kissing itself didn't really bug me. From then on it became a normal thing to do."Now the thin veneer of social criticism: Is this phenomenon as widespread as breathless columnists portray it? Is it on the increase? Is it demeaning or empowering? The Pandagon article talks about this “craze”, and compares it to the whole “blowjob blowup” that has apparently wracked some feminist blogs with controversy. (If you can’t resist finding out more, “Feminist Politics of Blowjobs” is supposedly a good place to start.)
- Yes, it would certainly get my attention. Whatever the morality of this tactic, I do not question its efficacy.
- It wasn’t nearly as common in my high school and college experience as these articles depict. Neither was oral sex. I’m always a bit skeptical about these articles that depict the years of high school and college as some sort of universal sexual free-for-all. It certainly wasn’t for me. Of course, I was I geek/nerd way before there was an easy way to parlay that into some kind of sex appeal, and very girl-shy to boot, so maybe I just missed out.
- I do find it a bit creepy that someone would do something sexual with someone they aren’t attracted to just to get my attention. Is my attention worth that much? Maybe it is. Maybe I’m as great as all that. But really? Not that any of these issues would prevent me from gawking.
- I can understand how girls who are actually lesbian or bi-sexual might be uncomfortable with this kind of activity. If people started carrying Dungeons & Dragons books around just because it got people interested in them sexually, I’d feel my genuine love of Dungeons & Dragons would be somehow cheapened. Or at any rate I’d be at great pains to tell everyone that I really liked the game, and wasn’t just playing it to get hot girls interested in me.
- C’mon, are boys really that hard to get?
- Do girls like watching boys kiss each other? There was that scene in the American Pie 2 movie, but how representative is that? I can see how it might be fun to get someone to do something humiliating, but are girls genuinely turned on by the act?